Hysterectomy Community
Bowel movement after surgery & gas

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Bowel movement after surgery & gas

i had a hysterectomy on June 29,2011 and was released on July 2,2011...I still havnt had a bowel movement should I be worried? At the hospital they gave me a suposetory and at home i took to soft & gental laxitives. Also can some please tell me how to get this gas out of my stomach. i bought gas x & tums no help. the pain is unreal.....thank in advance  
i had major abdominal surgery a couple of weeks ago and my surgeon would not discharge me unless i moved my bowels, so i sat in the toilet for an hour until something came out!  try sitting in the toilet with a magazine or something to help you relax, if you think about pooing all the time it doesn't help.  you need to relax and take it easy.  give it some time, it's only been a few days since your surgery, i remember i only pooed on my fifth day.  if you're taking medication for the pain, then that might be making you constipated and gassy.  eat more fruits and veg they usually help with bowel movements.  try massaging your belly as well, i used to go for lymphatic massages, which is very effective...i'd be in the toilet after every single session!  hope you recover soon!  take care!  xx