Hysterectomy Community
Burning Pain after Abdominal Hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy and all but part of my cervix was removed, (it was attached to my rectum and healthy, so the gyn left it).  I felt fine until about 3-1/2 weeks after surgery.  At that point it felt like a pricking sensation in my cervix area.  Also had cloudy urine.  Doctor though pricking sensation could be the stitches.  Found trace of blood and bacteria in urine.  Gave me 3 days of Batrim.  Repeated with another 3 days.  Urine still cloudy, but analysis w/screening showed nothing but a trace of blood.  Swap came up negative.  Now high up in my vagina, (maybe cervix?), burns.  The sensation becomes severe if I sit a lot during the day (at my desk at work or road trips).  The burning sensation is becoming increasingly difficult to deal with.  It is so severe that I need to take Ambien to sleep though the pain at night.  In the morning the burning isn't so bad, but during the course of the day it gets worse, to the point where at night I'm in tears wondering whether I should go to the emergency room.  My doctor said physical exam looks normal, no infection is present, and that it may be nerve damage.  I still have cloudy urine.  Now what?  Is this a permanent condition?  Will it resolve itself?  I did have one serious bout with herpes 30 years ago, but have never had a flairup.  Since the burning started 4 weeks ago and it getting increasingly worse in intensitity as time goes on, but lessens after resting at night, I don't think it is related to the herpes.