Pain meds post-op?
I am having a total hysterectomy this Friday and I am super sensitive to pain meds.  Every time I take anything with Codine in it I throw up.  My dr. order Dilotin (spelling???), for after my surgery when my hubby dropped of the rx yesterday my pharmacist called me and said that the drug prescribed has some codine in it and she told me to talk with my dr. about a different pain med.   I know that alot of them have some form of codine in them and I DO NOT want to et nausea and throwing up from pain meds again.

Is their anyone else out there who gets sick from pain meds?  I don't want to tough it out without pain meds, but i also don't want to throw up after surgery either.  After my lap 2 years ago I took some Percoset and ended up sicker than a dog until the pain meds left my blood stream...

I am going to email my dr. today and try to come up with a post op pain management plan that does not have codine in it....  
dilaudid, is what most docs give post op to morphine sensitive patients. I am allergic to morphine,,,so always get the diluadid...for at home I take vicodin, The narcotics in most pain meds are very hard on the stomach..there are anti-nausea meds available of course you must ask dr if he would want to prescribe along with the pain meds..and likely antibiotics..

try eating bread sounds odd but a good slice of bread and a whole cup of water helps me with pain meds and my stomach is touchy.

also very important ( Im sure you already know ) but just incase remind the anestesiologist and he can give you anti nausea meds so you dont vomit post op...