Hysterectomy Community
What is a heterogeneous echotexture of ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

I am 38 years old and have 2 children. I have had mild pelvic pain and lower back pain for some time now.  I had appointment with GYN on August 31st and he ordered a Pelvic Ultrasound that I had completed the following day.  The US report showed a uterine fibroid and an "enlarged heterogeneous echotexture of left ovary, measuring 6.7 x 5.3 x 5.2 cm.  I was mid cycle at the time of the US and the GYN ordered another US to be done on 5th day of next menstrual cycle which I had completed on 9/16/2011.  It shows same results of uterus and "enlarged heterogeneous left ovary, measuring 7.2 x 5.3 x 6.4 cm.  I am concerned about this and would like to know what the next steps should be for this issue.  I have not spoke to my GYN yet, because he has been out of the office and will not be in until tomorrow.  I work in a hospital (Respiratory Therapy Director) and therefore I see the worst of what can happen so I am exceptionally uptight with worry about this.  Thanks for your input.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Sorry about the delay in responding to your question. You must have seen your gynaecologist by now. But here are a few possibilities. The heterogeneous mass in the left ovary can be an ovarian tumour either benign or malignant. If it is cystic then an aspiration is possible. Solid tumours will need a biopsy to determine its nature. Laparoscopy may be considered. You may discuss this with your gynaecologist.
Hope this helps.