Lyme Disease Community
Exercise and activity triggered Lyme Symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

I am wondering if anyone feels symptoms at night (tingling, ear ringing, etc) at night after you have had an active day. Yesterday, I felt decent enough to do some work around the house. Last night, I paid the price...couldn't sleep, felt like I was hit by a freight train. My arms and shoulders ache bad. My head had pressure and ears rang alot. Central nervous system...sensitive to sounds...

History...I was bit about 4 years ago, and just diagnosed. I am on week 2 of Doxycycline. So far, a tad better...trying to get thyroid and stuff managed also.

I would love to hear from you all! Thanks!
Oh I think you'll find plenty of folks who can relate to the feeling of paying a price for increased activity.

I am thankfully far enough into treatment (over 1.5 years) that I'm greatly improved, and have resumed full time work and am starting to rebuild my life.  But it is still the daily grind that either (or both) when I go to bed or when I wake up, I feel burning (both on my skin like sunburn and in my joints like arthritis), parethesias (fancy word for tingling), and head pressure.  Whether I feel this way in the evening or the following morning depends on how well I'm doing overall that day and how much I did.  

I also at times experience heat intolerance.  This was much worse for me in the past than it is now, but it still crops up.  This is when heat, either through exertion/exercise or environmental (like a hot day or entering a hot car) triggers symptoms.  I've heard this phenomenon called "Uhthoff's Syndrome," and it can occur when there is neurological involvement.

At my worst, a shower that got a degree too hot for just a few seconds would trigger intense paresthesias and also make me feel extremely fatigued and run down.  There were days when I had to miss (then part-time) work because my shower would drain me to the point of temporary disability.

I thought my heat intolerance was largely gone, but the recent change in weather on the East coast has re-introduced this inconvenience.  Getting into my vehicle after it's been in the sun all day causes my face to instantly get all tingly, and my arms feel heavy to hold onto the wheel.  Well, at least I have AC!

So yes, whether brought on by activity or heat, Lyme and co. can retaliate to our activities.  The rattled nerves you describe often affects me, too.  I can become somewhat sound and light sensitive, especially to certain stimuli.  For me, someone rustling a plastic bag can really set me off, causing a "nails-on-chalkboard-like" reaction in me.