Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Expert Forum
The same basic question: lesions in the medulla and neck pain

Welcome to the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) forum. Questions will be answered by medical professionals and experts.

I just posted the previous quesion.last Thursday about medulla lesions and neck pain, and sllight problems swollowingl Perhaps it would help to state that  I have progressive MS and in my last MRI  I  had two lesions in the medulla, they are growing based on seperate MRIs. They were determened to be 1.9 cm and 2.3 cm. (I don't know how the judge what that means!) I am also experiencing dull neck pain, and slight problems swollowing. As I said in the last post, I know that the data does not indicate a direct correclation with syptoms (symptoms) and the existence of lesions. But could the pain possibly due to the lesions? Does the size even matter? I know that even a small lesion can be problamatic because the medulla is such a small area. My problem, whan does it mean that my medillar lesions apppear to be growing? What is the relatiohnship between lesions and pain?

Thanks, Dr. Kantor.
This is a good question.

1. I am not sure why an MS lesion would grow and not also shrink. Please ask your neurologist to clarify this. Are you sure about the MS diagnosis (this is not to make you feel uncomofrtable, but I think it needs to be definitively confirmed).

2. MS lesions can cause pain. 25 years ago they said MS does not cause pain; now most MS patients complain of pain.