Neonatology Expert Forum
Enlarged cisterna magna 13 mm at 35 weeks ultrasound

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I am really worried. My 35 weeks ultrasound reported enlarged cisterna magna measuring 13 mm. Because of the gestational age, doctors can not tell for sure how accurate this is. The report also mentions no other abnormalities seen, but again after the baby is born and evaluated, they will give us more accurate information. The report mentions that based on the finding the fetus is at risk for mega cisterna magna vs. dandy walker variant. Ever since i heard that i am not able to sleep or eat or be myself at all. Please advise.
As your physicians have discussed with you, enlargement of the cisterna magna can be more easily evaluated after your baby is born.  Imaging studies are much more accurate on the baby after delivery, and your baby's physician will also be able to perform a general physical exam that will add more information.

Ultrasound and possibly MRI as the most likely types of imaging that your baby will have for evaluation.  In addition, the pediatrician may ask for a Pediatric Neurology consult.  You will be able to ask the Neurologist questions about what the underlying condition causing the enlargement.