Neonatology Expert Forum
Fifth's disease and pregnancy
About This Forum:

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fifth's disease and pregnancy

I'm 35 weeks today and my OB is now monitoring my baby for anemia related to fifth's disease. I work in the Nursing office at my children's school and was exposed and developed antibodies to the parvovirus after 27 weeks. Yesterday he started NT's twice a week. My ultrasounds look good with nothing abnormal. What should I expect? If the baby develops anemia, due they deliver and transfuse her? Are there long term consequences? Thanks for your expertise.
Related Discussions
527625_tn?1229492858
As you know, anemia is the greatest risk for the fetus of a mother who develops "Fifth's disease", or a viral illness caused by parvovirus.  If your non-stress tests and ultrasounds look good, there is little reason to worry about anemia to an extent that will affect your baby prior to birth.  

After your baby is born, he/she may need a blood test to check the hematocrit (red blood cell amount).  Depending upon the results of this test and your baby's overall condition, there is a small possibility that a blood transfusion will be required, although this is rare.

There are really no other long term consequences that we are currently aware of for parvovirus infections.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank