Neonatology Expert Forum
Fifth's disease and pregnancy

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Fifth's disease and pregnancy
I'm 35 weeks today and my OB is now monitoring my baby for anemia related to fifth's disease. I work in the Nursing office at my children's school and was exposed and developed antibodies to the parvovirus after 27 weeks. Yesterday he started NT's twice a week. My ultrasounds look good with nothing abnormal. What should I expect? If the baby develops anemia, due they deliver and transfuse her? Are there long term consequences? Thanks for your expertise.
As you know, anemia is the greatest risk for the fetus of a mother who develops "Fifth's disease", or a viral illness caused by parvovirus.  If your non-stress tests and ultrasounds look good, there is little reason to worry about anemia to an extent that will affect your baby prior to birth.  

After your baby is born, he/she may need a blood test to check the hematocrit (red blood cell amount).  Depending upon the results of this test and your baby's overall condition, there is a small possibility that a blood transfusion will be required, although this is rare.

There are really no other long term consequences that we are currently aware of for parvovirus infections.