Neonatology Expert Forum
Methadone Given for comfort to my Healthy Newborn

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Dear Dr.

My daughter was born on 9/23/09 at 7lb and 2oz. She was completely healthy and when I was in the OR room for my c-section my husband and I overheard the neonatologist speaking to my OB about my chart and my meds during pregnancy, i.e: Fentanyl Patch 75mcg/hr e. 48hr and Oxycodone HCL 15mg 1-2 daily. They took my baby with myb husband to the NICU and immediatley started on Methadone. She was never scored for a period of time before starting on the Methadone. They never consulted with us prior to giving the drug. My first daughter was born on the same meds, but was scored for 24hr before they discovered she didn't need the Methadone. We already knew how serious Methadone was and we felt we nor our new baby were never given the chance. Now she has been in the hospital for 1 month and they are saying it's looking like more months...What rights do we have here?

Any help here can help. My husband and I feel like we have beeen treated like drug addicts. I have a serious and EXTREMELY PAINFUL DISEASE that they aren't taking seriously.

Thanks so much,
Heather
You need to have an open discussion with the Neonatologist taking care of your daughter about the reasons she is currently still hospitalized, and the goals that need to be achieved before she can be discharged home with you.

Many neonatal intensive care units also have social workers that help the families with a variety of issues (most units required the social workers to see very family).  You might want to discuss the situation with them also to see if they can help facilitate communication with the healthcare team.