Ovarian Cysts Community
Abnormal bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Abnormal bleeding

I have been bleeding for over 2 months, probably closer to 3 months.  The flow is not heavy, but aside from maybe 3-4 days, has been constant.  Within the past 2 weeks, I have also been experiencing some light cramping and bloating.  I made an appointment about 3 weeks ago to see my gyno, but the soonest I could get in is this Thursday.  Prior to this LONG period of bleeding, my cycles had been getting more and more abnormal.  Instead of 4-5 days of bleeding per cycle, I would bleed for 10-12 days, then a week or so later when I suspected I would ovulate, I would have light spotting for a day or two.  Then the periods increased in length, as well as the spotting, until I was bleeding all the time.  Any guesses as to what might be causing this?  I have been under quite a bit of stress over the past 6 months, and so I just chalked the bleeding up to that, but the pain and other symptoms now have me scared.  I am 42 years old, I have one child - a four year old, and have had fertility issues.  Last summer, I met with a fertility specialist to inquire about invitro, only to find out we were not good candidates.  During that visit, the doc did a transvaginal ultrasound, and discovered two cysts, with the largest one being about 4 cm.  He advised me to go on BC to try and shrink them before starting the invitro process, but then after further bloodwork, decided not to go forward with the invitro process.  Since we couldn't do the invitro, I stopped the BC.  I asked about the cysts, and were told they were very common, and nothing to worry about at all, they come and go on their own.  Again, this was a year ago.  I am now worried that those same cysts have continued to grow over the past year and that is what is causing the bleeding.  Does that make sense?  Also, is there a chance that those cysts were cancerous at that time?  As a side note, I had my thyroid removed about 18 months ago.  Could that cause a hormonal imbalance that may cause the abnormal bleeding/cramping??   The thyroid removal was due to cancer, so of course, I'm very scared to hear that "C" word again.