Ovarian Cysts Community
Frequent ruptures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Frequent ruptures

I've had two ruptured cysts in less than a month after never having an ovarian cyst in my life. I was recently taken off birth control because I have migrains that present with auras and was told that I can no longer take hormone based birth controls due to an increased risk of stroke. I had an ovarian cyst rupture on the 3rd of July which presented with a great deal of pain after standing from the couch and very heavy bright bleeding. I bled so heavily over two short days that I could not stand without nearly blacking out, my BP ran very very low and my extremities became covered in several bruises without any traumas. The ultrasound showed that there was no twisting and the doctor said he was unable to determine the origin of the bleed. The bleed did stop and the pain eased away. My doctor requested that my husband and I wait a week before attempting intercourse and asked me to come back if I experienced any pain during intercourse. My husband and I waited until the night of the 19th just to be safe. During intercourse I found that I again had the sharp severe pain in the right ovarian area (which is the same side as my initial cyst). I went straight back to my doctor who sent me directly to the E.R. for treatment and a new ultrasound. The ultrasound and CT scan confirmed that I had suffered another ruptured cyst this time without the bleeding but with fluid instead. Again there was no twisting, thankfully. I am concerned by the frequency after never having had these issues in the past. My aunt, who I seem to follow in the footsteps of medically, had issues with frequen cysts that ultimately caused her to have one ovary removed and another partially removed before she had the opportunity to have children. I'm searching for answers now to understand what the possible futures may be for myself and some possible reasons for the sudden occurance of these cysts. I've been told ruptured cysts are not dangerous and I've been told that they can be dangerous. I don't really know what to believe or what I should and shouldn't be worried about. I've no idea why my aunt needed to have her ovary removed but I am very scared that this may become a reality for me as well. This has been a very painful and frightening experience over the past month especially having had two rupture in less than a month. I can't imagine that the heavy bleeding that I suffered could really be considered "no big deal" since it caused so much weakness and bruising. I'm just looking for some advice, personal experiences, answers, or possibilities. Anyone willing to share any of this will be greatly appreciated.

Jeana