Ovarian Cysts Community
bilateral ovarian dermoid cysts during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Hi, im 27 y/o and pregnant at 10 weeks..this is my first pregnancy.. When I had my 1st prenatal visit my ob found out that I have bilateral ovarian dermoid cysts, it was seen through transvaginal ultrasound..they were big, 8cm at the left ovary and 6cm at the right.. Never knew that I had these cysts inside me..the ob recommended that I have surgery on my 16th week to remove the cysts for it might rupture or twist when the baby becomes bigger as the pregnancy advances.. my husband and I was afraid that thesurgery might harm my baby for I need to be anesthesized, had to take antibiotics and all..so we decided to ask for 2nd opinion.. The second ob doctor asked me to do another tvs with a different sonologist, so I did.. It showed the same impression, bilateral dermoid cysts.. But shes not in favor of doing the surgery during pregnancy for she thinks that theres a high probability that I might have miscarriage after..she just advised that I rest at home, avoid heavy chores to avoid twisting of the cysts and do regular check on mycysts monthly.. That she will just remove the cyst at the time of ceasarian delivery..my husband and I decided to stick with the 2nd ob doctor..I wonder f we were right on our decision not to do the surgery during pregnancy..
Ovarian cysts mostly are not treated during pregnancy unless they’re large enough to cause pregnancy complications. Large ovarian cysts measuring 6 centimeters or more are removed surgically preferably during the second trimester and that too through laparoscopic surgery.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.