Ovarian Cysts Community
pain, 1st period, and insomnia after laparoscopy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

i had a laparascopy two weeks ago- ive been having severe ongoing pelvic pain for awhile now. my ob/gyn did an internal exam in september, which was really painful. she said the pelvic floor muscles are in severe spasm and she also suspected endometriosis. she put me on the pill, both for the pain and because she said it treats endo, and she prescribed pelvic floor physical therapy. within a month, the pain went away, so i never ended up doing the pt. 

in jan, the pain came back full force. we went ahead with the lap, and she didnt find any endo or anything else wrong. so i will be starting pt soon and am hoping that will alleviate the pain. meanwhile, and this brings me to my question, my recovery has been much slower and more painful than i anticipated. from what my dr told me and what i read, i expected the gas pain to be worse than the pelvic pain, and that i would be fine in a few days. 

well, i am definitely not fine. the gas pain is pretty much gone but the pelvic pain is awful- it feels like the pain from the surgery on top of the pain ive been having. i called my dr and she had me come in at the end of last week, and she said she cant find anything wrong, which is good news. the pain from the incisions is getting better- it doesnt hurt to sit or stand up as much, but im still having really bad pelvic pain. at times its so bad that my lower abdomen is painful to the touch. even with hydrocodone it still hurts, and the pain makes it hard for me to sleep. the insomnia has been really bad, and its worrisome to me because i take an extremely strong sleeping med and ive never been unable to sleep since i started it years ago until now. ive also been having horrible nightmares. have any of you had problems with insomnia and nightmares after a lap?

a couple of days ago i thought i was doing ok and i cleaned the bathroom. huge mistake!!! since then i have been in excruciating pain- the worst its been since the day of the surgery. obviously i tried to do too much, but is it normal to have this much pain after two weeks, especially considering the fact that she didnt find anything? could i have injured myself? 

i started spotting a bit two days ago, but at first i didnt think anything of it because im on the progestin only pill, which makes your periods really irregular. i havent had one since december. the bleeding is getting a bit heavier- my flow is always really light and im not having a lot of bleeding but it seems more like a period than just spotting- so i am wondering if maybe i am getting my period (or already have it) and thats why im in so much pain right now. for those of you who have had a lap, what was your first period like after? thank you all so much for listening and for your help.