Mr
I'm a 48 y/o Male and my Barretts has recently grown from 2.5cms to now 10cms in size.I also have a recently  found Hiatial Hernia.My sugeon wants me to undergo Laprascopic Fudoplication Surgery to repair the Hernia and  fix the esophagus and stomach areas.I have read alot of medical studies and l'm NOT so sure this is the right way to go.Can't l just have a Hiatial Hernia repair and Ablation for the Barretts rather than having to drastically change my eating habits re the Fundoplication surgery.What do you think? Please a quick reply would be greatly appreciated.Michael C.
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. The repair of the hiatal hernia and ablation may provide temporary relief but may not stop the reflux process which could re-traumatize the mucosa resulting in a similar situation in future. The fundoplication may help control the reflux symptoms and aside symptomatic improvement may also help control the disease process. I would suggest discussing the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating doctor. If in doubt, you may consider a second opinion with another gastroenterologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!