Painless swollen Lymph node
Im a 30yr female with a swollen lymph node in the left side of my neck. I have had this now for several months now.It is painless. I have seen my local doctor regarding this and he sent me for an ultrasound. The results have come back saying that it has an ovid area of altered echogenicity. He has refered me to see a surgeon to have a Fine needle biopsy!! Im begining to become concerned as i have had a few other symptoms. I have lost 15kg in 12 months and finding it hard to maitain my weight. I am also so very tired all the time so much so that it's affecting all aspects of my personal and work life. I dont have my biopsy for another few weeks. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had a similar experience. Thanx

Swollen lymph nodes are very common, and could be due to infection, cancer and less commonly due to infiltration of macrophages filled with metabolite deposits. Swollen lymph nodes in infection usually resolves after the infection has cleared up. They usually present as firm, tender, enlarged and warm. Inflammation can spread to the overlying skin, causing it to appear reddened. While lymph nodes with possible malignant disease tend to be firm, non-tender, matted, fixed, and increase in size over time.  

Are there other signs or symptoms present? Aside from the biopsy, which could really cause anxiety to some; xray, and blood tests may also be done to reach a diagnosis and to rule out other causes such as infection, non hodgkin's lymphoma or cancer.

Take care and all the best on your biopsy.