Tinnitus in left ear
Over the last couple of weeks I have been bothered by rining in my left ear. During the day I do not hear it at all. It is only an issue at night, when I am in a room that is silent. Even then, I sometimes don't hear it at all unless I press my ear shut with my finger. When I do that, I can hear it quite loudly. It is a strong, distinct, high pitched sound and it doesn't seem to pulse. It seems to come on stronger when I am upset, but that could also be due to my own anxiety. I have been paranoid about brain tumors for a long time and may not have even noticed something like this if I hadn't read that one sided tinnitus is a symptom of an acoustic neuroma.

I have gone to a lot of doctors for no reason and don't enjoy the thought of doing this again. Could this be caused by anything other than an acoustic neuroma? Are there any particular symptoms I should look out for?
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? Was there a previous head or neck trauma? Aside from acoustic neuroma, possible differentials include ear problems, wax blockage, malformation of capillaries, head and neck injuries and changes in the ear bones also presents with one-sided tinnitus. It is best that you have this checked by an ear, nose and throat  (ENT) doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.