Thyroid Cancer Community
Is it thyroid cancer

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Is it thyroid cancer

I am a 26 yr old female and 3 weeks ago i noticed a lump on my neck. I assumed it was a swollen node because i had been sick. 2 1/2 wks later it was still there and i was not feeling well so i went to the ER (i have not insurance so i didnt have a doc to go see) The Doc did a ct scan and told me it was a thyroid nodule that was a little over 2cm. He said nodules are fairly common but he was worried about mine because it had grown so rapidly and was so large so i needed to make an apt w/ health dept. to have tests done to check for cancer. Well ive done my research and have now convinced myself I have the rearest and most deadly form of thy cancer (that is just me, im a worrie wort/hypocondriach) So my q is: Is it normal to have just a nodule or even the reg type of thyroid cancer with such a big nodule that i didnt even notice until 3 wks ago? I have 3 very young children and am terrified i am not going to be around for them, i go to the health dept thursday but and afraid if it is the bad king of cancer it is already too late! Please someone ease my mind a bit if possible! Thanks
Nodules are common, most of the time they are benign (85%).  You may have had it for some time, just not noticed it, especially with young kids, mom takes the backseat...I know. Sometimes if you have recently had a child, the thyroid can get out of kilter, so it could be related to hormonal changes.  Did he say anything about the type of nodule?  Solid, cystic, mixed? Most often it is a benign growth that must be watched. Sometimes it gets inflamed (causing swelling) but it does not mean that it is cancer.  You should have an ultrasound done, not a very expensive test, but it can tell you a lot. 2 cm is not that large, I have heard of 5 - 6 cm nodules. Your chances of cancer with a single solid nodule are ONLY 5-15%. If the nodule is mixed and has vascularity, your chances are greater, but still not very high.  The most deadly form of thyroid cancer are very rare, those are medullary and anaplastic.  Most thyroid cancer is papillary or follicular, which both are highly curable. You should also have a thyroid panel done, if you do have thyroid problems, such as hashimotos or graves, those can also cause inflamation (inflammation) in the thyroid. Keep calm, searching the internet can drive you crazy, especially if you don't have enough information.  Even with more information, you might still have trouble getting a diagnosis, that is just the way the thyroid is.  It is very hard to figure out, with my cancer, they had to take out 1/2 of my thyroid and test it in a lab before I got my diagnosis, and even after they found cancer in the right side, they didn't expect to find more, however they took out the left side and that was where the biggest tumor was, so it is tough to diagnose the thyroid.  You need an ultrasound and possibly a biopsy depending on what type of nodule it is.  
I have a thyroid nodule plus a lymphnode enlargement yet the ultrasound was interpreted that the lymph node is "benign appearing". What, in your experiences, have been the situation where the person has thyroid nodule plus LN+no cancers? thanks, selecttea P.S. scheduled to have biopsy this Friday but kinda nervous.
Thank you sooo much! After everything Ive read it seemed like all benign or even the common types of cancers were related to slow growing, small nodules which is why i have been making myself sick (literally) with worry. Like I said the doc said mine was large. I dont know what type it is yet, I assume at my apt. on Thursday they will set up for me to get the tests done (I will let them know i want the ultrasound and other tests). It is just so hard to wait, I have actually been giving myself panic attacks over this! But I have decided to stop with the self diagnosis and stop worrying until I know i have something to worry about! Thank you soo much for making me feel better! I am hoping for the best but I will and can handle anything life has to throw at me as long as I can be around to watch my babies grow up! That is all that matters to me so I will not let cancer stand in my way! Ill keep you posted as to my test results!
where on ur neck is the node?
it is on the left bottom, front nxt to adams apple
Hi -- the waiting is the hardest part usually.  Try not to think about the possibilities.  I have been where you are now so I do understand your fears.  Reading online can make you more frightened .. try to wait it out and see what your next appt says.  Please please, keep us posted.  It can be a cyst that has doubled in size, too .... nobody can really know for sure unless you have surgery and you will have a better idea with a biopsy .  Those are my thoughts.  Hang in there ..

C~
1/07
Thanks so much! I go to the doc tomorrow but they will probably just set up my apt. I actually was very sick the other day and went back to the ER and I had a sinus infection but also this time my thy level was a little low. He said not extremely low but still a little. I am ready to handle anything life throws @ me as long as I can be around to take care of my babies! They are my life.
Well I wnt to the doc today thinking they would give me a referral to an Endo. But no, they said they cant give referrals and i needed to find one that would work w/ me on a payment plan because i have NO insurance. They also told me that my nodule felt solid so i def. would need a biopsy. Well ive called Everywhere and no luck.  I dont know what to do. I have an apt @ a Free Clinic that are suppose to do referrals but who knows, and they if I have to pay an huge amount up front I dont know if I will be able to. We have 3 kids and my husbands dosnt make a huge amount of money. Any advice?
Hi momofthr3e

How did you make out at the clinic?  Please let me know .. in the meantime I'm going to post on thyroid disorders if anybody has any help for you and ask them to post their thoughts here for you, too.

Keep us posted!

C~
The free clinic went well, the doc. was so nice and he has set me up an apt for an ultrasound, not sure when it is yet but the ball is rolling. He assured me that anything that needs to be dont can be done threw them for free or very little $. I feel sooo much better. Ill update everyone on the results of the ultrasound and what is going to happen next. Thank you so much for asking ChitCatNine, its really great to havesome who cares.