Nodule grown 1cm in 6 mos. now at about 4.0-4.2
My nodule was about 3.2cm in Feb. 2012, now it is about 4.0-4.2.  Almost a whole cm growth, going for a second biopsy Friday.  I have no thyroid function problems, no symptoms.  How many of you had one this big, benign, not symptoms to speak of, and had had it removed?  Dr. is not pushing for it, I am not interested in cosmetic reasons.  Just wondering.  It is significant growth to me.  (I only discovered it in Jan. this year.)
Hi there!

Though it is significant growth, it could as well be due to benign reasons and may not require definitive management. Radioisotope scan or biopsy may be required to differentiate between the etiologies when the management plan can be decided.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thank you, had my biopsy today, won't get results unitl the 14th.  The radiologist talked with me about the ultrasound report from last week.  He said the edges are more irregular, it is more of a mix (nonhomogenous) and has a more vascularity than 6 months ago.  I will talk to the endocrinologist soon.  I don't care about cosmetic issues, it doesn't bother me in that regard.  Financially, I have met my deductible this year and am working on the out of pocket expenses and then insurance pays 100% but Jan. 1 that all resets.  If the dr. thinks it will likely have to come out next year I think I'd rather do it this year.  I understand there are risks though.  If I have a partial thyroidectomy, how likely will I be to need thyroid meds after that, I have no thyroid function problems at this time.  A lot depends on the biopsy report.
Your chances of normal thyroid function with 1/2 thyroid are about 40%, most often you will need a bit of thyroid meds to be normal. More importantly once you remove the half you can send it to the lab and get a proper diagnosis, that will tell you everything you need to know.
Thanks MANmom, I hear so much about how unlikely it is to be cancer or cause a problem but then you really just don't know until you take it out.  It's still a hard decision.  I could have it out and find nothing was wrong at all or I could have it out and find it is cancer which i would be glad to get out.  It feels like a catch 22.  
If nodule has a strong capsule you may try PEI (more than 2 traments will be required due to the nodule size) if this will not work surgery could be an option
I've never heard of PEI, what is that?
Interesting, i just found the info on PEI, but I don't think mine is just a cyst anymore, I'll have to ask.