Thyroid Cancer Community
Nodule grown 1cm in 6 mos. now at about 4.0-4.2
About This Community:

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Nodule grown 1cm in 6 mos. now at about 4.0-4.2

My nodule was about 3.2cm in Feb. 2012, now it is about 4.0-4.2.  Almost a whole cm growth, going for a second biopsy Friday.  I have no thyroid function problems, no symptoms.  How many of you had one this big, benign, not symptoms to speak of, and had had it removed?  Dr. is not pushing for it, I am not interested in cosmetic reasons.  Just wondering.  It is significant growth to me.  (I only discovered it in Jan. this year.)
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Though it is significant growth, it could as well be due to benign reasons and may not require definitive management. Radioisotope scan or biopsy may be required to differentiate between the etiologies when the management plan can be decided.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Blank
Thank you, had my biopsy today, won't get results unitl the 14th.  The radiologist talked with me about the ultrasound report from last week.  He said the edges are more irregular, it is more of a mix (nonhomogenous) and has a more vascularity than 6 months ago.  I will talk to the endocrinologist soon.  I don't care about cosmetic issues, it doesn't bother me in that regard.  Financially, I have met my deductible this year and am working on the out of pocket expenses and then insurance pays 100% but Jan. 1 that all resets.  If the dr. thinks it will likely have to come out next year I think I'd rather do it this year.  I understand there are risks though.  If I have a partial thyroidectomy, how likely will I be to need thyroid meds after that, I have no thyroid function problems at this time.  A lot depends on the biopsy report.
Blank
Your chances of normal thyroid function with 1/2 thyroid are about 40%, most often you will need a bit of thyroid meds to be normal. More importantly once you remove the half you can send it to the lab and get a proper diagnosis, that will tell you everything you need to know.
Blank
Thanks MANmom, I hear so much about how unlikely it is to be cancer or cause a problem but then you really just don't know until you take it out.  It's still a hard decision.  I could have it out and find nothing was wrong at all or I could have it out and find it is cancer which i would be glad to get out.  It feels like a catch 22.  
Blank
1204245_tn?1356904325
If nodule has a strong capsule you may try PEI (more than 2 traments will be required due to the nodule size) if this will not work surgery could be an option
Blank
I've never heard of PEI, what is that?
Blank
Interesting, i just found the info on PEI, but I don't think mine is just a cyst anymore, I'll have to ask.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...