Thyroid Disorders Community
16 year old with low T uptake
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

16 year old with low T uptake

My 16 year old daughter is overwhelmed with fatigue and headaches. All extra curricular sports were stopped and bloodwork done which showed the her T uptake was in the abnormal range (19.3-- normal being 22.5-37.0). Also, her RBC count is slightly low and considered abnormal. She is presently taking a low dose birth control pill for chronic acne (she took YAZ for 6 months and it didn't work). We have an appointment with an endocrinologist in two weeks. She had a positive Epstein Barr Virus result two years ago, and the current one shows the virus isn't active.
This has been very disturbing since her family doctor said to her and me "Her blood work (which hadn't been done yet) will come back normal and she needs counseling because of the fatigue." This is a straight A highly active child athletic child that cannot get through the day without headaches and exhaustion. My questions are:
1) Should she stop taking the BCP before the upcoming endocrinologist visit? Do BCP's effect thyroids?
2) I have been on Synthroid for 20 years. Could a thyroid condition be hereditary?
3) Am I being overly-cautious and anxious that her T-uptake came in low?

I have been the only advocate who has believed her the past two months--and think I am justified to be very angry at her family physician for making the child feel inadequate before getting the test results. If I am over-reacting, please tell me. Otherwise, am I right to make an appointment for her with an endocrinologist?
Thank you!!