Thyroid Disorders Community
Alternatives for Synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Alternatives for Synthroid

At my age, I know my body pretty well. I started synthroid, 50mcg, two weeks ago. I am now severely constipated not from being slightly hypo, but from the drug. Synthroid is the only change I made, so you pharma-folks please don't reply that constipation is a symptom of hypo, not in my case.

Please reply with alternatives because this drug feels like it is toxic to my body. I am not taking it today and I will call the endo tomorrow for other choices. Synthroid and I do not get along, but I need something for my rising TSH, from 6 to 8 in two years.

Thanks all :)
I responded to your comments on another, old thread; it's good that you started a new thread of your own.  

There are several different thyroid medications on the market, including both T4 and T3 meds; your doctor can prescribe a different medication and see if it helps.

Here are my comments from the other thread you posted on: Even though you don't want to hear that it's the hypothyroidism causing your constipation, please read the rest of my comments.  And as you read, please keep this in mind:

It's also not unusual for symptoms to worse or new symptoms to appear when first starting on a medication, changing med or doses.  

"Hypothyroidism causes the constipation, not the med.  Skipping your synthroid will only make matters worse.  It takes approximately 4-6 weeks for the medication to reach full potential in your blood, then it often takes time after that for your body to "get well" from not having had the hormones.  

You should talk to your doctor regarding supplements; however, up to 400 mg magnesium daily is considered safe.  When used for easing constipation, magnesium oxide works best; however, if you also want it to help ease muscle/joint aches/pains, and other symptoms, magnesium citrate is better absorbed.

You should also make sure you're eating foods with adequate fiber, but don't eat a lot of fiber close to when you take your synthroid, as the fiber can inhibit absorption of the med.  Also make sure you separate your synthroid from any supplements, by about 4 hours, because supplements, especially those containing calcium/magnesium can also inhibit absorption of the med.

You could try a daily probiotic and/or digestive enzymes, as well.

Adequate exercise also helps relieve constipation.

All of that said, you have to give the medication time to work and be consistent in taking it.  Be sure to take it as close to the same time every day; make sure you take it on an empty stomach and wait at least 30-60 minutes before eating anything."