Thyroid Disorders Community
Cytomel question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Cytomel question

I am hypothyriod. My FT3 has been consistanly low. My prior doctor had me taking 75mcg of Levothyroxine in the morning and 25mcg of Cytomel 1x day. My new endocrinologist is now having me take 75mcg of Levothyroxine at night and 5mcg of Cytomel 3x day. I am having difficulty with when and how I should be taking this. Is anyone on a plan like this? I understand that calcium can affect the absorption and should be avoided 4 hrs before and after taking. Does this mean to avoid just calcium supplements or all dairy. Are small amounts of dairy ok? Taking the meds 3x day would seem like I can't have dairy all day. I can't seem to manage to remember to take all 3 doeses of the Cytomel. Are there other options?
I did some looking around the internet and found this.  

"The absorption of T3 does not vary as much when you take it with food as T4 meds do so you seem to be able to take it with food OK.

There is no interaction with Hydrocortisone, you can take it at the same time if you are on HC.
    Iron does affect absorption, although T3 absorbs MUCH faster than Armour or T4, Taking iron even an hour after T3 is fine but at least 4 hours before the next dose. It takes about 4 hours to absorb the iron so it is not waiting in the digestive tract to disrupt the T3. So T3 1 hour BEFORE Iron or 4 hours AFTER iron. Vitamin C may be taken with Iron, other things should be separated.
    You can take T3 1 hour BEFORE calcium or three hours AFTER it. The Calcium in a multivitamin is normally too low to be a problem"

I take my T3 is two doses and that is the usual direction from doctors.  I have found that early morning and early afternoon works best for me.  As for T4, the usual rec is to take it in the morning 30-60 minutes before eating breakfast.  This is not an ironclad rule, we're only talking trying to be consistent in the way you take meds.  No need to totally disrupt your lifestyle just to maintain some schedule for dosing yourself.