Thyroid Disorders Community
Graves Disease & Rheumatoid Arthritis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Graves Disease & Rheumatoid Arthritis

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis & currently been diagnosed with (mild to moderate) Graves disease.

My endocrinologist has given me the 3 options for treatment:
1. Take a medication for about 1 1/2 years with a 20% success rate to return the thyroid to correct status, but with significant potential side effects.
2. Kill the thyroid with radioactive iodine & then synthetic supplementation for the rest of my life.
3. Surgical removal of the thyroid &then synthetic supplementation for the rest of my life.

My question is: Has anyone on this board have both RA & Graves simultaneously & what was their experience if they chose to kill the thyroid, how did it affect their RA condition?

I'm afraid that being a "autoimmune type" that if my thyroid is killed or inactivated, the ongoing overall autoimmune response might attack yet another organ such as the heart or whatever & might cause the RA, which is currently relatively dormant, to flare up.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks