Thyroid Disorders Community
Im confused.. feel worse now that my tsh level is normal..???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I read a lot of post on here where people feel terrible when there TSH is high.. Mine being at 56.6 is high.. doctor started me on Levo..and every 6 weeks retested.. Im now on 200mcg once a day and my tsh is now within the perfect range.. OK now heres the deal.. I have no symptons at all and have never had any.... in fact I feel worse now being on levo.. I read about all the high tsh levels and symptons, but again i had none!!  .. only reason i had initial blood work done was from a sports injury, sprain ankle..and when i went in for that ,my blood pressure was high so doctor ordered a blood work up.. when it came back he  said my TSH was high 56.6 and started on Levo.. I tried to tell him I feel absolutely great.. but he insisted i needed this med for the rest of my life. Im WM 53 age .. Does a high TSH affect blood pressure.. ? blood pressure still not perfect but working on it.. However,why do i feel horrible now, being on levo med even though its in the normal range now. I felt great before ever taking the med and my tsh was high.... IM LOST !!!!  
TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone.  TSH is affected by so many variables that it is totally inadequate as the sole diagnostic for thyroid issues.  At best it is an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators, such as symptoms, and also levels of the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  TSH is supposed to reflect levels of thyroid hormones, but it cannot be shown with scientific evidence to correlate well with either Free T3 and Free T4, or with symptoms, which are most important.

I can't even imagine a doctor prescribing 200 mcg of T4 med, without testing beyond TSH, and also taking into consideration your lack of symptoms.  The only possible scenario I can think of that would explain the doctor's actions would be if he has determined that you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and he acted preemptively to keep your thyroid hormone levels high enough to prevent the possibility of hypo symptoms.  Were you ever tested for the thyroid antibodies associated with Hashi's?  Those tests are both TPO ab and TG ab.  

If not, I would suggest that you do so to rule in or out the possibility of Hashi's.  Also, I strongly suggest that you should be tested for the more important thyroid tests, which are Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4).  

If the doctor resists doing these tests, you should insist on them and don't take no for an answer.  When results are available, please post results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.