TSH level
My 10 month old daughter was recently sent from a ckeck-up visit to the ER, as she had was only weighing in at 14 pounds. I told the Pediartic doctor that she had seemed weaker and not her normal self. They ordered a TSH test as well as liver. Her TSH level came back at 7.35 and the results paper said H (high.) The ER told me to go home and that they had talked with a pediatric endocrine specialist who said it wasn't anything to be worried about... That I should just have her retested in 2-3 wks. However, I am very aware that mental retardation, as well as other serious side effects can result from abnormal levels. Should I really wait 2-3 weeks? Should I take her to another doctor?
Thanks.
Depending on age, children's TSH range is higher than adult range. So I assume that TSH of 7.35 for a 10 month old is not all that worry some. I agree with doctor, from all that I have read, do a retest to confirm the first test in case of any type of error.
Follow the lead of the pediatric endocrine specialist, he knows his business better than you or I.