Ovarian Cysts Community

Ovarian Cysts

I recently had a CT for another issue, however the CT showed a 6 cm cyst on the left ovary and a 3 cm cyst on the right ovary. I have had a lot of lower back pain, side pain, abdominal pain and constipation. Should I be concerned??
COMMUNITY LEADER
Welcome to the community. Ovarian cysts are common.  Most resolve on their own in 2 to 3 cycles, no intervention needed. Did the CT specify the type of cysts or at least their characteristics (simple fluid filled, complex, dermoid, hemorrhagic, etc.)? Size can be a problem as larger cysts have the potential to cause ovarian torsion which can be very painful and cause the ovary to die. But at the same time you do not want to have surgery unnecessarily. Once they get to be over 7cm or so, they worry about torsion.

If you do end up needing surgery, it is best to have just the cyst removed (cystectomy) leaving your ovary (if it is benign as most cysts are). Studies show that our ovaries produce hormones our WHOLE lives keeping us healthy.  Removal of one ovary can impair fertility and also result in a lack of hormones for good health.

Hopefully, these cysts will resolve. And if they don't, I hope you receive treatment that restores your health instead of causing additional problems.