Aa
A
A
A
Close
Ovarian Cysts Community
6.09k Members

Ovarian Cysts

I recently had a CT for another issue, however the CT showed a 6 cm cyst on the left ovary and a 3 cm cyst on the right ovary. I have had a lot of lower back pain, side pain, abdominal pain and constipation. Should I be concerned??
1 Responses
COMMUNITY LEADER
Welcome to the community. Ovarian cysts are common.  Most resolve on their own in 2 to 3 cycles, no intervention needed. Did the CT specify the type of cysts or at least their characteristics (simple fluid filled, complex, dermoid, hemorrhagic, etc.)? Size can be a problem as larger cysts have the potential to cause ovarian torsion which can be very painful and cause the ovary to die. But at the same time you do not want to have surgery unnecessarily. Once they get to be over 7cm or so, they worry about torsion.

If you do end up needing surgery, it is best to have just the cyst removed (cystectomy) leaving your ovary (if it is benign as most cysts are). Studies show that our ovaries produce hormones our WHOLE lives keeping us healthy.  Removal of one ovary can impair fertility and also result in a lack of hormones for good health.

Hopefully, these cysts will resolve. And if they don't, I hope you receive treatment that restores your health instead of causing additional problems.
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.