Bipolar Disorder Community
Lamictal and Lithium combination

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Lamictal and Lithium combination

My shrink has increased my dose of Lamictal from 200mgs to 250mgs as I have started to cycle rapidly again. It's helping, for sure, but the Lamictal has always made me a little hypomanic, even when I even out on it.

She has mentioned combining the Lamictal with Lithium; Lamictal for the depressive episodes and Lithium for the hypomania. I currently take Neurontin as a mood stabilizer, but it hasn't helped the cycling and it never really has. The Lamictal has been the best mood stabilizer for me.

So, do any folks around here take a Lamictal/Lithium combination? I am really looking into it as I think it will be a good combination for me. I am also looking into it because I am also on Klonopin and want to get off of it. It doesn't help with the cycling either; it just makes the down episodes much worse. I am thinking that the Lamictial/Lithium combination will really help me in this aspect.
I've never been on Lamictal but I have heard wonderful stuff about the  drug.  I only took Lithium for awhile and now I am on Risperdal.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it...it may be the perfect combo for you....I hope.