Bipolar Disorder Community
depakote?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

depakote?

Does depakote really make u gain weight my husbands been taking it for a few months for bipolar disorder seems to be working:) but we both want to know if this medicine is known for causing a lot if weight gain? Anyone experience this...
It can cause weight gain....there is actually a lot of bipolar meds that can cause weight gain.  Abilify, Seroquel, and Risperidone can sometimes cause weight gain.
That being said it is often a small percentage of people that experience weight gain from these medicines.  I take Seroquel and for the first month or so I started gaining a little weight but I started forcing myself to eat a descent breakfast, a small lunch, and a healthy dinner.  I try to not eat too late in the evening (after 6:00) and I never eat right before bed.