Cancer Expert Forum
CA 125

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

CA 125

I had an ultrasound the dr said I had a substance and fibroids on my uterus and the lining was thick well yeah it as thick I was ready to start my period doc said to gt a CA 125 test to se if im am a higher risk for getting cancer from what i have read ca125 is for people who have cancer or th doc is thinking they have cancer ca125 numbers can be higher if ur on ur period or have fibroids why would the dr order the test unless he is seeing something he is not telling me my question is do they do they do a CA125 blood test to see if you are at a higher risk of cancer
Dear worriesalot70,

Thanks for posting your query.

I would have liked to know your age in order to give a more informed opinion. However, I understand that you are young as you are still having your periods.

Fibroids in the uterus are quite common and mostly do not require treatment, unless they are bothersome in some way.

A thick lining (I would like to know how many mm) in a premenopausal woman with no other symptoms such as excessive or irregular bleeding, is also probably of no significance. Even if the doctor feels that there is anything suspicious, I think that an endometrial sampling rather than a CA 125 would be a better test.

CA 125 is very non-specific. It is elevated because of many causes other than cancer (which includes endometriosis-a condition where menstruating tissue is present at an abnormal location). In addition, in early cancer CA 125 will be normal.

If you can share with me your symptoms and the exact ultrasound report findings, I will be able to guide you better.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Indranil Ghosh.