Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Heart Medication & Alcohol

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Heart Medication & Alcohol

My 61 y/o husband had a cardiac catheterization and a stent inserted in what the doctor called a 'pretty good size artery'.  He is on the following medications:  Terazosin 2mg and Previcid-30 for other medical conditions, and Simvastatin-20mg, Plavix-75mg, Toprol-50mg for his heart.  The problem is that he drinks almost every night 4 to 10 cans of beer.  I am terribly worried that all this alcohol is negating any good effects of his medication.   Can you please spread some light on this so that I can show him the answer.  He has been so careful in other areas such as changing his diet (he has lost 40+ lbs. but this area, he continues to ignore.
Worrisome Wife
One of the things I would be most worried about in terms of the alcohol and his heart would be that excessive alcohol can cause a weakened heart muscle and if his heart is weak (ejection is lower than 50%) then he needs to totally abstain from alcohol in order that he gives his heart the best chance of improving. Even if you disregard the heart, that amount of alcohol can cause long-term liver problems so he may trade one illness for another. I think you are right on to be concerned.