Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
How acurate are EKG and chest x-ray for diagnosing heart trouble

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Hi, I am a 34 year old male and have been having some strange symptoms that my internist and the doctors in the ER  have no answer for. Back in May I began experiencing what I call lightheadedness. It wasn't so bad that I felt like I was going to pass out or fall over but still strange enough for me to worry. With this I have also experienced headache and symptoms closely related to a sinus infection. In the ER I was given an EKG, a chest X ray and blood and urine tests. All of these came back normal. I was given an antibiotic and symptoms seemed to disappear after a few days. The same symptoms came back in August. I again went to the ER and was given the same tests. All normal again. The same symptoms have now returned. I am experiencing lightheadedness, mild shortness of breath, fatigue, mild discomfort when I inhale deeply, and an occasional wheeze when I breathe. Given the fact that in the last six months i have had three EKG's, three chest X-rays, and three blood tests is it safe to say this is not heart related? Any idea which direction to head in as far as a definitive answer? The only answer I have gotten so far is allergies. Thanks for your time.
It is encouraging that your tests including EKG and xrays are normal. If your doctors feel necessary they may want to do an Echocardiogram to confirm normal cardiac structure and function