Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
Quadruple heart bypass surgery

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

Quadruple heart bypass surgery

After a quadruple heart bypass surgery, what is the normal stay in a hospital for someone who has been a diabetic for 39 years.  My dad recently had quadruple quadruple heart by-pass surgery and released from the hospital 3 1/2 days later.  He came home at 11.00 in the morning and by 11.00 p.m. his heart stopped.  The paramedics were only able to restart his heart after an average 39 minutes and now he is severely brain damaged.  If he was still in the hospital maybe they would have been able to restart his heart quicker because he would have still had the heart monitor on and they would have detected a problem sooner.
There is not a good answer for that. We discharge patients when they are stable and ready for discharge and there is no "normal" necessarily. It seems to me that 3 days is a bit earlier than the average, however. In our region I believe the average is 5-7 days assuming no complications.
If your father was having a bypass he was very ill from the start and the arrhythmia could have happened in or out of the hospital. Although keeping him longer may have made it easier to diagnose, it may not have changed the outcome.
These situations are very hard and there is no really fault that caused his arrhythmia that I can see. Sometimes people with severe coronary artery disease have fatal arrhythmias but it is not clear to me that this is what happened. I'm sorry for what has happened and I would recommend some grief counseling for yourself. I honestly don't feel that looking for someone to blame is the answer for yourself or your family.
I