passing out after coughing
My husband had pnuemonia and is still coughing and has been passing out when he coughs only 1 or 2 times real deep.  He has injured his head, his hip and his ribs.  I am very worried about him and don't know what to do to help.  He is on steroids for the aftermath of the pnuemonia, and some meds to prevent him from coughing, but they are not completely working.  Is this going to ever end and do I need to worry everytime he gets a cold?  Is this a lasting condition?  Please help.
Passing out from coughing is due to the high pressure inside the chest cavity with coughing which limits the return of blood to the heart and can cause one to pass out.  It will improve as the coughing stimuli resolve as the pneumonia improves.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Cardiologists in your area?