Interventional Cardiology Expert Forum
pediatric Myocarditus

Questions in the Interventional Cardiology forum are answered by medical professionals affiliated with the Truman Medical Center. Topics covered include acute coronary syndrome, angina , atrial fibrillation , cardiac catheterization , cardiomyopathy , drug abuse & cardiac disease, echocardiography , heart failure , hypertension & heart disease , lipid management , minorities and heart disease, peripheral vascular disease prevention, valvular heart disease , women’s heart health, and the warning signs of a heart attack.

pediatric Myocarditus

After being in hospital with my 6 year old whose symtoms (symptoms) included a heart rate of 160, puffy eyes, a chest xray taken a day earlier which identified a slight case of pneumonia, vomitting and halucinating, the doctor confirmed on the basis of a nasal swab that it was simply the flu. Eight hours later my six year old a had cardiac arrest and was put on life support for 25 days. The diagnosis was myocarditus. My only question was why were more tests not performed such as an EKG on his heart in light of the symptons. Is this a fair question?
Secondly, the doctor claims that probably nothing could have been done to stop the inevitable arrest and that the outcome would have probably been the same.I find this rather difficult to believe. Almost a year later he now has about 60% of his heart and about 55% of his lungs. What interventions should of or could have been done and what is the probability of th success of the intervention(s).
You should talk to a pediatric cardiologist.