Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
Blood in semen

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

Blood in semen

I've been experiencing blood in my semen for about 3-4 months now. I went to my doctor and did some preliminary tests in the middle of December. My PSA came back as 0.54 which my doctor stated is good, however the protein level in my urine was reasonably high, not sure of the numbers. The bleeding stopped untill recently it started again? Are these symptoms of Prostatic Cancer and should I seek help from a Urologist immediately. Also, Im a 38 year old african-american male.
Thank you for your question. From your description you are experiencing blood in your semen or hematospermia.

Hematospermia, is a fairly common urologic symptom. Understandably, the sight of blood in semen is alarming. While, hematospermia can be associated with malignant disease, there are a host of causes. These include:

Inflammation or infection
Inflammation of any of the organs, glands, or ducts involved in the production or storage of seminal fluid can lead to hematospermia. These include the prostate, urethra, epididymis, etc. In turn, inflammation can be caused by irritation or trauma; stones or calcifications, infection, etc. Herpes, gonorrhea, and chlamydia, have also been implicated in hematospermia.

Obstruction
Obstructed ducts near can cause nearby blood vessels to rupture.

Tumor
Urologic tumors, prostate, testis, can also cause hematospermia.

Trauma
Biopsies or other medical procedures can cause trauma resulting in hematospermia.

In addition, proteinuria could be the sign of either 1) blood in the urine or 2) chronic kidney disease from high blood pressure, diabetes, or other inflammatory conditions of the kidneys.  

Followup with a urologist is recommended. Some relevant questions to keep in mind would be 1) when and how did you notice blood in your semen? 2) how many episodes have you had? 3) have you had any tests done recently 4) what medications are you currently (or recently) taking? 5) are there other symptoms you are experiencing (fever, weight loss, pain, urinary frequency)?

Do you have a positive family history of prostate cancer?

Best of luck,

Ashutosh (Ash) K. Tewari, MD
www.cornellroboticprostate.org

This forum is for information only. The contents, such as graphics, images, text, quoted information and all other materials ("Content") are provided for reference only, do not claim to be complete or exhaustive or to be applicable to any particular individual's medical condition. Users should always consult with a qualified and licensed physician or other medical care provider. Users are warned to follow the advice of their physicians without delay regardless of anything read in this forum. The Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute assumes no duty to correct or update the Content nor to resolve or clarify any inconsistent information which may be a part of the Content. Reliance on any Content is solely at the User's risk. This forum may contain health or medically related materials considered sexually explicit. Users are warned that if they may be offended by such Content, an alternate source of information should be found. Publication of information or reference in forum to specific sources such as specific products, procedures, physicians, treatments, or diagnoses are for information only and are not endorsements of the Weill Cornell Prostate Cancer Institute.