Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
Possible prostate cancer, or just medicine side effects?

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

I am an 18 year old white male who has recently been diagnosed with prostatitis. I first went to the doctor because I was experiencing abdominal pain and pain in between my scrotum and anus, both of which were amplified while walking and during bowel movements. There was slight blood in my urine, and it took 2 more doctor visits over the span of a week for the prostatitis diagnosis to be made.

I was first put on Cipro (500mg twice daily) but was having some bad side effects from that, and a week ago I was switched to Bactrim (500mg twice daily). While I was on the Cipro, my prostatitis symptoms were fine. I stopped taking Cipro a couple of days before I went back to my doctor and switched to Bactrim, and in those few days my prostatitis symptoms noticeably came back. Since starting on Bactrim, I have noticed some new symptoms which I am not sure if they are just side effects or something else.

Since starting on Bactrim, I have noticed that after a bowel movement, my anus gets extremely itchy for about 5-10 minutes. The itch will usually not go away until I can force myself to not scratch. Additionally, I noticed today some anal leakage shortly after I woke up. I have also been having some muscle tightness in my buttocks, inner thighs, and lower back, which couples with some slight pain in those areas when I walk. I was very active over the summer but since going back to school in August I have not been as active, and probably most notably I was not active the few days before the muscle stiffness/pain began.

It also may be important to note that all of my immediate family (father, mother, and brother) are allergic to sulfa (my father has respiratory symptoms, my brother gets hives, and my mother's entire body turns red), but I have not noticed any symptoms of an allergic reaction and I have been taking Bactrim for about a week now.

It seems like I am too young for prostate cancer, so I am thinking it is probably just side effects.
Thank you for your question.  

First let me say that your symptoms are not indicative of prostate cancer.   Generally, bactrim is the first choice for prostatitis due to its ability to concentrate in the prostate, cipro is also a commonly used alternative.

Your new symptoms are best addressed with your doctor.  It is possible that you have developed hemorrhoids - which would explain the itching or you may have developed a mild case of colitis - likely a better explanation.  I would give your doctor a call and inform him of your new symptoms and make a new appointment.  It may be appropriate to stop taking the Bactrim in the mean-time.  This is a situation that is best addressed with the doctor who prescribed your medication and is treating your condition.

Below is some general information about prostatitis.

Prostatitis is the most common urologic diagnosis in men younger than 50 years.

Prostatitis can range in its severity and level of bother to a patient.  Although prostatitis may have more than one etiology, it is often considered bacterial until proven otherwise.  There are three major categories of Prostatitis, but it is easier to think of them as two; acute and chronic.

Acute Bacterial Prostatitis
Acute Prostatitis is characterized by an acute onset of pain combined with frequent urination as well as difficulty in initiation of urination in a patient with fever/ chills and/ or achy joints. Patients typically complain of urinary frequency, urgency, and pain with urinating. Patients often also complain of pain in the groin, buttocks lower abdomen may have associated pain the genitalia.

Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis
The most important distinction between acute and chronic prostatitis is a history of documented recurrent urinary tract infections. 25% to 43% of patients diagnosed with definitive chronic bacterial Prostatitis had a history of recurrent UTIs

Chronic bacterial prostatitis is characterized by repeated episodes similar to acute prostatitis that come and go.  Patients may be relatively asymptomatic between acute episodes pain, which was most commonly felt in the scrotum, buttocks and lower abdomen.  Pain can also be felt in penis, groin or low back. Pain during or after ejaculation is one of the most prominent, important, and bothersome features.  

Treatment for prostatitis involves antibiotic use, frequently for many weeks.  It can also be very difficult to treat and some men require multiple treatments.

I hope this is helpful.

Best,
AT