Prostate Cancer Expert Forum
Several symptoms for many years...

This forum is for questions about: Advanced or Metastatic Prostate Cancer, Biopsy, Bone Scan, Blood in Urine or Semen, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), CT Scan, Cystoscopy, Erectile Dysfunction, Hormone Therapy, Incontinence, Pain (abdomen, low back or hip), PSA Test, Prostatitis , Radiation Therapy, Rectal Exam, Recurrent Cancer, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging (Tumor size; Metastasis), Surgery, Transrectal Ultrasound, Urinary Difficulty or Burning, Urinary Urgency (Leaking), Watchful Waiting.

Several symptoms for many years...

I'm 40, 5'11", 170lbs, and healthy for the most part.  In 1995 at the age of 24 I began having trouble completely emptying while urinating and my urine stream seemed to become a bit weaker.  The issue has remained for the last 16 years.  It doesn't seem to have gotten worse but it hasn't gotten better either.  There are times when I don't have any issues but for the most part I've been dealing with them for the past 16 years.  In order to completely empty when I feel like I haven't, I put pressure along my perineum and force the remaining bit of urine out, otherwise I'll have some leakage.  Rarely I experience slight pain in the perineum area and just above the groin, along with some lower back and hip pain.  I have also had some erectile issues over this period of time.  I saw a doctor in 1997 and was told I had prostatitis even though I was never given a prostate exam because the doctor told me I was too young to worry about prostate cancer.  I then saw a doctor again in 2006 who gave me a digital prostate exam and a psa test.  I was told my prostate was swollen a tiny bit and the PSA test came back fine.  This doctor also told me I had prostatitis.  Do my symptoms equate to having prostatitis? Since I'm still experiencing all of these symptoms, should I go back and get another prostate exam?  Thanks for your help.
Dear mikeg10,

Thanks for your query.

Considering the description of your symptoms and the age at which they started, I am of the opinion that you might be having dysfunctional voiding rather than prostatitis.  Dysfunctional voiding may be because of inappropriate activity in the muscles of the bladder wall, in the muscles that control the starting or stoppage of the flow of urine (sphincters), or the muscles of the pelvic floor. Neurological impairment and certain medications can also contribute to bladder dysfunction. The symptoms of dysfunctional voiding can include sudden, strong urges to urinate during the day or night, the need to urinate often, incontinence, difficulty during urination, weak urine stream, incomplete bladder emptying, and recurrent urinary tract infections.

I recommend that you talk to your doctor about trying alpha blockers to see whether they relieve your symptoms.

If they don’t, you should undergo an examination by a urologist and also get an examination of expressed prostatic secretions done to rule out prostatitis.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Rajiv Goel