Thyroid Cancer Community
Follicular Thyroid Nodule

Thyroid cancer is a thyroid tumor that is malignant. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments, surgical options and living with thyroid cancer.

Follicular Thyroid Nodule

I was told that my thyroid scan revealed several thryoid nodules and was sent for a fna.  The pathology report showed benign follicular cells my doctor called me and told me I needed to come in. I went in and he told me that I had follicular cells and that I needed to have my right lobe of my thryoid removed as well as the isthmus and possible radioactive iodine ablation.  I ask him why so radical of a surgery he said that this is the only way to know for sure if is cancer.  My mother had to have her whole thryoid removed about 20 yrs ago for papillary thryoid carcinoma with one lymph node invalved and she also had to have I-131.  I found out the I no longer have any form of medical insurance and I live in Southern Illinois and there are no free clinics or help financially since I was not diagnosed with cancer but I was told I need the surgery to rule out cancer but was told that it was a 50/50 chance that it is...I have not been able to work since 2009 and am trying to get my dissability so I can go to the doctor.  And that is next to impossible.. I went to a doctor that was in a health network hospital for a consultation visit and he looked at my neck and said it is not swollen and there is nothing to worry about he is a ear nose and throat doctor.  2 years ago I went to a endocronologist and was told that the 1 nodule that I had at the time was nothing to worry about I do have hypothryoidism and take levothryoxine 125mcg and have for the last 5 yrs can any one sugest what I need to do.  wait and have another scan in 6months to a year is what I was told by the ear nose and throat dr if I was that worried about it.. this is such radical advise by the doctors so far they either say take it out and see or it is nothing to worry about what do I do.....
How are things now?