Thyroid Disorders Community
Burn out thyroid gland

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Burn out thyroid gland

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and am having a procedure done to burn out my thyroid gland.  I was wondering if you know what the procedure is, how long it takes, and what the side effects are?  Thank you!
I am guessing you are talking about RAI. Radioactive Iodine ablation.

If so, you have to be off thyroid meds for six weeks, or get a shot that allows you to keep taking your meds. The shot is expensive, and insurance may cover it.

You will have to be in isolation for a few days after RAI, which is complicated and important. You can learn all the correct procedures here if you do not know them.

The RAI takes two to four months to work. Side effects are usually minimal, but you will have to sign a release form saying you know that a possible side effect is cancer.

Obviously cancer is not a common side effect or they would not do the procedure, but it is a risk factor. Problems with saliva glands is a more common side effect, which can be avoided by sucking on sour candies the first few days.

If you are NOT talking about RAI, then we will need more information.