Is change in my diet to blame?
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease in 2005, started on levothyroxine at a baby does of 25 mcg. Within  months I discovered I needed a higher dose, also my doctor added a small dose of Cytomel. My iron levels were also low as well as my B12 and Vitamin D, I also had a high rheumatoid factor (don't necessarily have RA but i do have bummed knees since that time). It turned out that my 2 thyroid drugs were not doing the job and towards the end of 2006 I was put on Armour Thyroid, which proved to be superior and I got on with my life, I was also receiving B12 shots and taking B12 and Vitamin D3 supplements. I did improve drastically but my BMI was in the obese range despite me adhering to a low carb and high fat diet since January of 2000.

Flash forward to April of 2014:

For ethical reasons being primary I switched from a low carb diet (Atkins) to a low fat, high carb plant based vegetarian diet (by that meaning carbs in fruits, vegetables, and starch based foods like potatoes, rice, and pasta, no junk food ones). Within 9 months, and after a near 20 lbs effortless weight loss and feeling guilty about still being on a thyroid hormone derived from animals, I decided to let my new doctor know my feelings and I was willing to go back to the Levothyroxine/Cytomel combo at least a trial period to see how my body would react. She agreed and in January of this year I started the trial period and thought for sure I would be back to feeling ill like I was in 2005... not a chance!!! Next month it will be a year since i made the switch and I feel fantastic, no brain fog, no aching muscles, no hypo symptoms whatsoever, and my thyroid labs have been tested 3 times and they are in  normal range!!!!

Can anyone shed a bit of light as to why my body i reacting positively to the synthetic hormones as opposed to 10 years ago? Could it be my diet change? Would it be possible to one day go off of all thyroid meds? What do you think?
The type of thyroid medication is not nearly as important as is the levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T4 and Free T3.  There are also other factors that affect the overall outcome.  Those include Vitamin d, B12, ferritin, and cortisol.  If you will please post test results on whichever of those you have tested for we will be better able to assess your status.  Also include reference ranges shown on the lab report.  It would be great if you have test results that represent the various dosages of meds.  

The basic cause of you being hypothyroid was diagnosed as Hashi's.  With Hashi's the autoimmune system erroneously identifies the thyroid gland as foreign to the body and produces antibodies that attack and eventually destroy the gland.  As this proceeds, the output of natural thyroid hormone is diminished and has to be replace with thyroid med.  So you cannot go off thyroid med.