THYROID disorder

There's a nodule in my right lobe. It started probably in 2005.

I had an ultrasound dec 2010. result- 47x27x40mm. the first one i had in May 2010 was 46X34X36mm. The overall size of the right lobe is now measured at 74x41x26mm. The left lobe measures 55x13x11mm. The acoustic texture of the thyroid gland is moderately heterogeneous. SUMMARY- Liltte overa;; change in isze of the dominant nodule of the light lobe of th ethyroid gland.

BIOPSY RESULT- Clinical Info- 4.7 cm cold right thyroid nodule. Specimen- Thyroid FNA Rt. Gross Description- 30ml of clear and colorless fluid received DIAGNOSIS- Features are consistent with a follicular thyroid lesion. COMMENT -This hypocellular aspirate contains groups of follicular cells with some crowding and nuclear overlapping. Ocassional nuclear grooves are seen. No evidence of intranuclear pseudiinclusions. The background shows macrophages, inflammatory cells and dense colloid. Those features are atypical and require repeat aspirate for definitive diagnosis.

BLODD TEST results-
T4- 14.1 pmol/L RefRange : 10.0-25.0
TSH- 0.57 nIU/L refRange 0.20-6:0
ALT- 16U/L RefRange 1-40
BETA HCG <1 IU/L RefRange 0-5

IS SURGERY MY ONLY OPTION? or there are other options for my situation.Please let me know. Thank you.

According to the article “Thyroid cytology”
By Dr Alpha Tsui, Royal Melbourne Hospital, 2008 (http://www.rcpa.tv/parts/educational/anatomical)
Your nodule undergoes cystic degeneration and cytology shows features of both colloid nodule and follicular neoplasm. Such nodules should be aspirated under high resolution ultrasound to get a sample from the solid part of the nodule. The next step is to repeat biopsy and for cytology and molecular testing which will estimate chance of malignancy. The thyroid itself shows inflammation which may be result of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis; blood test for TPO antibodies may be required.
if the nodule will be considered benign as aresut of both cytological and molecular testing, ethanol sclerotherapy can shrink the cystic part of it.