Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine Expert Forum
acupuncture for anxiety and dizziness, ligtheadness

Welcome to the Acupuncture & Traditional Chinese Medicine Forum! This forum is for questions pertaining to acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, as they relate to adjunctive cancer care, preventive medicine, women’s health, sports medicine, post-surgery rehabilitation, addiction and fertility.

hello i have been suffering from anxiety and depression for almost 2 years and i am desperate to find something all that is available to help me with this. i have been feeling dizziness, lightheadness and a spacy feeling on and off for all of this time.  is it possible that acupuncture could help with this?? i really want to get rid of this feeliing i have in my head. thanks

In Chinese medicine there are several distinct patterns that may present with dizziness and lightheadedness, and each have a different etiology, or cause.  Without seeing you and performing Chinese medical diagnostics, I can't make any assertions as to what pattern you are presenting with.  However, if your symptoms are new and particularly distressing, I would make an appointment with your M.D. to see if there isn't something more serious going on.

Regular acupuncture acts as a body-regulator, and for that it can be helpful in dealing with some of the manifestations of anxiety and depression like insomnia.  Exercise balances your neurotransmitters, so exercise should also be incorporated into your life if it is not already.  Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a form of therapy that retrains your brain to identify a negative or anxious thought and turn it around, eventually breaking the pattern of negativity.  I have found that a combination of all of the above is the most successful to address anxiety and depression.