Burns Expert Forum
Cauterized (SP?) hair loss on my head

This forum is for questions and support regarding burn issues such as: Hand burns, Pediatric Burns, Thermal burns, Electrical burns, Chemical burns, Radiation burns, Rehab/Recovery, Pain control, Psychological / Social Recovery, Scar Management, Smoke inhalation, Disaster Management, Skin and Soft Tissue Infections.

Cauterized (SP?) hair loss on my head

I recently had a short scar face lift under a local.  After the surgery my head was wrapped.  A few hours later after the novacane started wearing off I had a SHARP pain in my head area above my ear.
I phone the doctor and complained and he said that he did not touch that area.  A few days later I noticed a scab was forming.  Another week later I lost ALL my hair surrounding the scab the size of a 50 cent piece.  I am now 8 weeks post op and NO hair regrowth.  I went to my primary care physician to see if I had a fungus or some other medical problem. She said that I definately had an electrical burn to the area.  I remember during the face lift hearing the doctor and nurse asking one another if they smelt hair burning!  Duh!  It was my head.  I am wondering how I can get hair to regrow!  I will not return to my PS.  I did call him after my visit to my primary and all he said was to keep an antibiotic cream on the wound.  Nothing more.
The answer to your question really depends on the depth of the burn.   Partial thickness burns are able to heal by regenerating the skin and it does this by having new skin cells form in the hair follicles and then those new cells migrate out of the hair follicles.  Therefore, by definition, in partial thickness burns the hair follicles remain viable and the hair should grow back.   In partial thickness burns, if the wounds heal on their own they do so by contraction because the skin cannot regenerate.  This leaves rather nasty scars and the hair cannot grow back.