Diabetes Expert Forum
Fasting Glucose test

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Fasting Glucose test

I just had a fasting glucose test results were 150, doctor wants me to get more tests done.  Does it sound like I'm diabetic? My mom was one.
HI and thanks for using the forum.

Diabetes cannot be diagnosed based on one elevated fasting blood sugar.  This is why your doctor wants you to go for further testing.  A fasting glucose of 150 is high though and given your family history it is possible that you are developing diabetes.  THe good news is that diabetes is manageable and many people can make lifestyle and diet changes that help bring those blood sugars down.  Follow up with your doctor and start doing some research on diabetes management.  Even if the rest of your blood tests come out OK, a family history of diabetes can make you more prone to developing it.  So get educated now about it and ways to prevent or mange it.  Good luck.

Bridget  

PS- the American Diabetes Association has a great website with a lot of information.  Also, there are some great support communities on medhelp as well that are full of information.