Diabetes Expert Forum
Fasting Glucose test
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Fasting Glucose test

I just had a fasting glucose test results were 150, doctor wants me to get more tests done.  Does it sound like I'm diabetic? My mom was one.
796253_tn?1344994932
HI and thanks for using the forum.

Diabetes cannot be diagnosed based on one elevated fasting blood sugar.  This is why your doctor wants you to go for further testing.  A fasting glucose of 150 is high though and given your family history it is possible that you are developing diabetes.  THe good news is that diabetes is manageable and many people can make lifestyle and diet changes that help bring those blood sugars down.  Follow up with your doctor and start doing some research on diabetes management.  Even if the rest of your blood tests come out OK, a family history of diabetes can make you more prone to developing it.  So get educated now about it and ways to prevent or mange it.  Good luck.

Bridget  

PS- the American Diabetes Association has a great website with a lot of information.  Also, there are some great support communities on medhelp as well that are full of information.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank