Diabetes Expert Forum
Have I been misdiagnosed with diabetes

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Have I been misdiagnosed with diabetes

Hello, my name is Linda, I live in Australia.  I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for five years with cortisone steroid injections for the first four years.  Not once did anybody bother to monitor my blood sugar levels, and I was unaware that they could be affected by them.  I have recently been diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, and Type 2 Diabetes, my Doctor was aware of all the medications I was on.  I was taking Prednisolone 5mg for 1 year, Diclofenac 50mg twice daily for five years, and Perindopril 8mg once daily for a month. About two weeks ago, after feeling sick from the cocktail of medications I was taking.  I made a rash decision to ditch all of them except the High blood pressure medication; my blood pressure was 150/109.  Since doing so I feel amazing.  Four months ago I decided to change my eating habits, quit a 20 year addiction to Coke Zero and started exercising everyday about a month ago; this was very difficult to start with RA, but I already feel amazing differences in my fitness.  I have gone from 315 to 292.9 pounds.  Since being diagnosed on the 22nd October this year I have cut out all trans-fat products, all artificial sweeteners, and anything made from a factory.  I have noticed radical improvements in my weight loss.  Half of my weight loss has occurred in the last week.  Getting back to my diagnosis, with my OGTT my fasting score was 126, and two hours later it was 257.4. My doctor immediately put me on Metformin 500mg twice daily.  He did not discuss any attempts for me to try to manage with diet and exercise.  My mother developed Diabetes 4 years ago; she lost 132 pounds and manages her diabetes well.  I borrowed her level checker and have been testing myself at fasting, and 2 hours after each meal.  My fasting was 108/108/113/95.  My 2 hours after lunch were 104/88/91.  My 2 hours after dinner were 93/108/122.  I read diabetics are unable to come down to fasting levels before a three hour period.  Is it possible that I was misdiagnosed? Sorry about the length of the question.
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

I don't think that  you were misdiagnosed.  It sounds like since you have been diagnosed you have made some positive lifestyle changes that are helping you mange the diabetes.  I don't think it is a great idea to just stop all of your medications (especially something like metformin and prednisolone).  I think you should make an appointment with your doctor and discuss your medications with him/her.  Steroids can affect your blood sugars so it is possible that they caused part of your problems.   However, you really need to speak with your doctor.  Diet and exercise play a large role in diabetes managment and it sounds like you are dedicated to making some good choices.  Work with your doctor on this one.  Good luck.

Bridget