Diabetes Expert Forum
Lantus Question
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lantus Question

Hello, I am a 42 yr old male and I have been taking Lantus now for a few months. Before, I was taking the usual pills, and also Byetta. I am now off the Byetta and  taking about 37 units of Lantus before bedtime right now. My question is that although i have gotten my a1c down to 6.8 from 13 originally, my fasting BS in the mornings seem to want to hang at 190 to 210 every day. I have not seen "normal" bs numbers for awhile now, but yet my a1c is perfect. My endoc. thinks that my Amaryl is causing low bs numbers at night and then runs out of steam in the mornings and he wants me to boost my Lantus up a unit at a time until i find the magic number for me. Im a little hesitant to go past 40 units because I dont know what an average normal dose of Lantus should be. So far, I am not taking any other insulin, just lantus and the normal pills, amaryl, and metformin. I was taking Avandia until the big scare. Any ideas?