Diabetes Expert Forum
Losing weight to fight diabetes
About This Forum:

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Losing weight to fight diabetes

I am an insulin dependent diabetic.  I have been on insulin for the past 11 years.  I wear an insulin pump, and find that my control is much better than it used to be.  However, I have an issue with weight loss.  I can't seem to do it.  I have been on Simlin (prescribed by doctor), and other medications to help lose weight, but to no avail.  I have tried every diet known to man, including Weight Watchers (which was the most helpful), but I can't seem to stick with it and I gain it back.  I now weigh 345 pounds, and I'm 5'6" and 44 years old.  I am using a large amount of insulin each day, and am becoming insulin resistant.  What can I do to lose this weight?  I want to do it, but I can't see to make it happen.
Related Discussions
291531_tn?1193614293
Hello,

Weight loss can be quite difficult for many people, and I am afraid that insulin itself promotes weight gain. Unfortunately in your situation it is unavoidable.

Other medications that have been approved for weight loss include Xenical and Meridia--have you tried those?

Be sure that your thyroid function is normal and optimized.

If you truly have tried everything, one last option is to discuss gastric bypass/banding with your doctor. This is a very serious operation and should not be undertaken without going through a thorough screening program within a reputable health system/hospital. It is a drastic step but may prove to be a viable one for you if truly all other options have been exhausted. Please discuss with your doctor.
Take care.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, complications was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Losing weight to fight diabetes was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
5289563_tn?1366052034
Cathleen Zoretic, RNBlankBlank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703