Diabetes Expert Forum
Losing weight to fight diabetes

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

Losing weight to fight diabetes

I am an insulin dependent diabetic.  I have been on insulin for the past 11 years.  I wear an insulin pump, and find that my control is much better than it used to be.  However, I have an issue with weight loss.  I can't seem to do it.  I have been on Simlin (prescribed by doctor), and other medications to help lose weight, but to no avail.  I have tried every diet known to man, including Weight Watchers (which was the most helpful), but I can't seem to stick with it and I gain it back.  I now weigh 345 pounds, and I'm 5'6" and 44 years old.  I am using a large amount of insulin each day, and am becoming insulin resistant.  What can I do to lose this weight?  I want to do it, but I can't see to make it happen.

Weight loss can be quite difficult for many people, and I am afraid that insulin itself promotes weight gain. Unfortunately in your situation it is unavoidable.

Other medications that have been approved for weight loss include Xenical and Meridia--have you tried those?

Be sure that your thyroid function is normal and optimized.

If you truly have tried everything, one last option is to discuss gastric bypass/banding with your doctor. This is a very serious operation and should not be undertaken without going through a thorough screening program within a reputable health system/hospital. It is a drastic step but may prove to be a viable one for you if truly all other options have been exhausted. Please discuss with your doctor.
Take care.
1 Comment
A related discussion, complications was started.
A related discussion, Losing weight to fight diabetes was started.