Thyroid Nodule - Which Specialist Shoud I See?
An ultrasound detected a 7 by 8 mm solid nodule with some calcification, so I  am having an ultrasound assisted FNA biopsy next Wednesday. The results will be given to my family medicine physician. If the nodulei is  malignant, who should I see next, an ENT or endo? If surgury is needed, who actually does the surgury, an ENT?
Additional info/question. In a separate paragraph, which I beleive is referring to the thyroid in genral, no tthe nodules, the radiologist's report noted that the "Color Doppler demonstrates normal vascularity diffusely." What does this mean? I also had a 4 by 3 mm calcified nodule that does not require biopsy, why is that?
Your nodule is quite small, I can't believe they are doing the biopsy, it is hard to hit a nodule that small with a fine needle. Usually they wait until it gets closer to 1 cm.  If they don't get an answer, then they are probably going to watch it and wait until it gets bigger. The calcification is a concern, nodules with calcifications are more often cancer, but you are still in the 20% range. Vascularity can sometimes indicate cancer, cancer needs blood flow. A normal benign tumor usually doesn't have blood flow. If they can hit the right spot and get cells for a diagnosis, then you will need to see an ENT, preferable one who does at least 2 thyroid surgeries a week. It is not an easy gland to operate on, so you want a pro. How were your blood tests? Any elevated thyroglobulin? This could also be a sign pointing to cancer. Looks like you are on the right track.
The only blood work my GP ordered included TSH, T4, T# uptake and Free Throxine index, they were all normal. At the time of the bloodwork, I did not have the US results. I see an endo today.
As my family doctor mentioned to me, go see an Endo and an ENT .. an Endo doesn't cut (do surgery) and an ENT does .. this way you have 2 opinions.