When to request cancer screening for Hashimoto's
Hi everyone,

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's, and I was wondering when/if I should request an ultrasound to screen for cancer? I know that thyroid cancer is more common among Hashimoto's than most (one article I saw said about 35% of Hashis develop thyroid cancer), but I don't want an unnecessary procedure... Is there anything I should watch for or is it good policy to screen as a fail-safe?

Thanks!!
Hi there!

Though hashimoto’s can be associated with lymphoma of the thyroid gland and a slightly higher chance of other thyroid malignancies than the normal population, the occurrence is relatively rare and routine screening for cancer is not typically suggested in the condition unless there are specific indications or in long standing cases. It would be best to discuss the situation in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!