Thyroid Disorders Community
Does levothyroxine (generic) cause hair loss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I was on Sythroid for the first 30 days of treatment and on the next refill the pharmacy replaced it with the generic...levothyroxine.  Rapidly I lost approx. 1/2 of my hair.  It literally shedded right out.  My Dr. suggested it was because of the switch.  Have you had this experience?  Thanks, Monica
Tags: hair loss, sythroid, levothyroxine
Hi there,
I experienced this BAD!!! I am on Synthroid now the BRAND. I am not sure if it is the meds BUT being HYPO CAN!!!Being told that it can take 6 months to stop AFTER being regulated correct! What happens is after surgery or hypo or  hyper it takes a month for the hair to fall out or grow 1/4 of an inch. After the damage has occured and you get regulated this can take a while to correct!! I talked to my DOC and many OTHER PEOPLE THERE IS HOPE. The hair and nails are the last to heal. I take Bioten, flaxseed, evening prim rose, and centrum silver it is for older people because I am pron to osteoperosis. So hang in there I would ask to switch to SYNTHROID. There is allot of opinions on this subject but I would try it. For me my body does not seem to know the difference between a natural pill or a synthetic one. Get it regulated.

Best wishes!!! I to lost half of my hair and it might pay to cut some to help get it healthy again I had over three feet of hair. I cut it  before I was diagnosed with Papillary carcinoma and two surgeries and it has gorwn allot but then fell out. a cute medium cut is to happen tomorrow. It ***** but hey hair is only hair and you are alive right!! THis as worse for me than being dignosed with thyroid ****!!!

Rodeo Queen