Hurthle Cell Thyroid Carcinoma - Neck staining?
Hello and thank you for your time. My daughter Quila is 15 years old and has been diagnosed with Hurthle Cell Carcinoma.  She has had two thyroid surgeries – the 1st to remove and test the tumor and the second 5 months ago to remove any remaining thyroid after determining that the Hurthle Cells were cancerous. Surgery was followed up with single does of Radioactive Iodine Treatment (pill form) and ongoing daily Synthroid at 0.125mg.  The follow up scan from the iodine treatment showed very heavy uptake of iodine in the thyroid bed area. I understand that this is a very rare condition for someone of Quila’s age. (Her grandmother has recently also been diagnosed with Hurthle Cell Carcinoma)  
I have many questions of course, but for now am interested in knowing if anyone has ever heard of either “staining” or “hyper pigmentation” of the neck around the incision?  Quila originally had what looked like bruising around her incision, but now 5 months later the darker blotchy pigment has spread to most of the front of her neck. Her Endocrinologist, Surgeon, family doctor, nuclear medicine department and Dermatologist have no idea what it is.  It is getting progressively worse and looks very similar to my mother’s back where she had external radiation. However everyone is telling me that internal iodine radiation would not do this. The area in question blanches when pressed.  I of course am worried about metastasis. Any ideas?  Please?